Help and advice for couples making immigration applications

If you are a couple and one of you has British nationality or leave to remain in the UK, but the other has neither, you may be able to apply to the Home Office so that you can both live in this country. There are different types of applications to help your partner stay or join you in the UK. Whether an application is going to be successful will depend on various factors, including but not limited to:


  • how long you have been in a relationship
  • whether you are married, planning to marry or living together
  • your financial circumstances and living conditions
  • your nationality and past immigration history.


You can read our guide on partner and spouse visas to learn more about the types of applications that can be made on the basis of your current or past partners.


In addition, our legal service offers immigration advice to LGBTQI+ people and their partners with the assistance of our specialist volunteer lawyers. We can advise you on different types of partner visas (including spouse, fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner), as well as the EU Settlement Scheme, refugee family reunion, and domestic violence applications if you have been a victim of such abuse.


We are registered with the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC), which allows us to carry out this work. We do not offer legal representation and cannot replace your lawyer, who will be responsible for your case.


If you wish to seek advice confidentially and free of charge, please contact us and we will get back to you as we can.